Friday, October 3, 2008

it's worse than I though...

MORE: during a live performance in Romania Dan asks the audience to imagine it's 1972 all over again...
..
how could people not get basic things such as the fact that the *Disco clothes* in the O-zone performances (e.g. Despre tine / About you) were meant as *props*? this is NOT a cultural issue, I'm afraid... unless we are talking looking down upon and assuming the worst of other cultures...

Delia

P.S. was quite disappointed with Abe Tran

re: (4th comment; #c131)

Hi, Abe!

hmmm... I don't particularly like the "Eurotrashy" reference (especially since you previously said you liked the song). Otherwise, not a bad entry... you made sense of what's been happening and put the phenomena in good perspective for your readers.

Delia

P.S. I believe the best translation of "Dragostea din tei" into English is "Romantic Love." Dan Balan took quite a bit of poetic license when he called it "Dragostea din tei" (it's a stretch, and a big one, even in Romanian). D.

(6th comment, #c138)

if you think it's trash... (Euro or not), I wouldn't waste my time with it if I were you. I mean, there are plenty of other things to do... doesn't seem like a very good choice.

Delia

P.S. I don't think it's trash... Not the song, not the outfits. I just think it's creative... it's art! (and not bad at all)

I suspect you are referring to the song "Johanna." The girls in the video wear, doll-like short dresses; I believe that was a very good choice given that the real message of the song -- as far as I see it -- is that the girl in the relationship that ended-up breaking up was acting like a demanding doll and that had driven Crazy Loop (aka Dan Balan) to exasperation.

http://thenumanumathing.blogspot.com/2008/02/power-of-shower-johanna-johanna-shut-up.html

P.P.S. I wouldn't be surprised if this was "inspired by real life" (actually happened to Dan Balan). D.

(10th comment; #c135)

"Eurotrash" is derogatory, Abe -- any way you spin it... And no, it does NOT mean merely metrosexual (which is *not* a derogatory term) and it definitely does NOT mean gay. Your personal interpretation is just incorrect...

I would not go around calling people "Eurotrash" any more than I would call Vietnamese people "gooks"... nor would I try to argue that the term "gooks" is NOT derogatory -- it *is*, even if you might be able to find someone who believes otherwise.

Delia

P.S. oh, and you appear to have completely missed the purpose of wearing the kind of cloths the O-zone members wore while performing songs that were *intended* to be a throw back to the Disco times (same idea as having the girls that were part of the performance of the song "Johanna" wear "doll dresses")

P.S. anyways, take care! D.

No comments: